"Cannot run C compiled programs", falling at first hurdle.

Christian Gardner christian_gardner at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 25 13:02:42 PDT 2009

Hi all, I have an LFS 6.3 host system and I'm trying to build an LFS 6.4 system on a separate partition. I can't even get the configure script in the first pass of binutils to go alright! I get the above error message, followed by something about what to do if I'm cross-compiling. Which I'm not, right?

On further investigation, I do

echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
cc dummy.c
./a.out

and it says a.out command not found! Even though an ls reveals it's there, all permissions okay! What's going on?