syslog.c error

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Oct 10 14:48:21 PDT 2009

Ken Moffat wrote:
> 2009/10/10 Lucas <luk51000 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi.
>> I'm trying to make a lfs from a Ubuntu 9.04 host.
>> I took the LFS book 6.5 and I'm doing exactly what is written there (using
>> all the packages listed there in the versions listed).
>>
>> Now the problem.
>> When compiling (making) the glibc-2.10.1, after sometime, it's appears a
>> error message and the make quits.
>> I won't be able to copy the whole msg here because i'm running it on a
>> virtual machine, but I'll try to put the most important things.
>>
>> ../misc/syslog.c: In function '__vsyslog.c':
>> ../misc/syslog.c:123: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to
>> 'syslog': function body not available
>> ../misc/syslog.c:155: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
>> make[2]: *** [/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.10.1/misc/syslog.o] Error 1
>> make[2]: leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.10.1/misc'
>> make[1]: *** [misc/subdir_lib] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.10.1'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> I already looked into the syslog.c and it appears to be ok, and searching
>> through the internet I found someone saying why this happens, but didn`t
>> said how to fix.
>> He said it happens because of some gcc bug, where it doesn`t recognise the
>> double underline functions (he said a specific name, but I don't remember)
>> or something like this.
>> Too bad I don't remember where I saw it (did a really extensive search)
>>

>  maybe http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2008-11/msg00060.html
>

>> thanks in advance for the help
>> --
>>
>  I've no idea what causes this, but some people
> have seen it before (e.g. on linuxquestions), and
> most or all of them have been using ubuntu.
>
>  Best suggestion I can offer is in
> http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2009-02/msg00023.html
> - that came up before the reference I've offered
> above, and it's from a guy who knows a lot about
> gentoo - if that works, it means we aren't totally isolated
> from the host's toolchain :-(
>
>  To try that suggestion, discard the source and build
> directories, and add that -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE at the
> end of the CFLAGS you are writing to configparms.
>
> ĸen

I just finished with a CLFS basic system but I had a rocky start with
things like this and I used Ubuntu-9.04 as a host system.  Except for a
couple of typos all my problems stemmed from the fact that I didn't have
all the compiler, linker and support files.  Make sure you have added
the "*-devel" packages.  (I'm not going to say on a public list that I
didn't have g++ installed and didn't know it. :) )

Dan