Valid Group Names

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sun Oct 4 19:46:29 PDT 2009

On 10/04/2009 08:25 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> Hans Kaper wrote:
>> That the problem arises after the installation of Shadow does not surprise
>> me. After the installation groupadd from LFS-Shadow takes over from Shadow
>> of your hostsystem.
>>
> Yes, I've done more research and discovered that there's no way around it.

A couple Shadow versions ago, there was a patch I think in the CLFS book
to fix a few issues - one was to alter useradd and groupadd to reduce
the restrictions on user and group names - I've attached the patch here.
As I said, this was a couple versions ago so most of the issues in the
patch have already been fixed in the latest Shadow version, but the
restrictions on user and group names are still there, so the first bit
of that patch can still be applied if you want.

It's not really a problem for me since I just use the package name in
all lower case (yeah, I use package users too) - my only issue has been
the maximum length of user/group names, though in recent Shadow versions
that can be changed with a configure switch - I add
--without-group-name-max-length to Shadow's configure command.