linux-2.6.31.6 doesn't boot

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 13:28:08 PST 2009

Alberto Hernando wrote:

>> Make shure that your IDE/PATA/SATA drivers are built right in the
>> kernel.

> All these drivers are built in the kernel.
> Now I'm trying  to use GRUB following the book and I get this:
>
> root:/# grub-setup
> No device is specified.
>
> root:/# grub-setup -r (hd0,8)
> bash: error sintáctico cerca del elemento inesperado `(' (syntax error near
> unexpected `(' )

Yes, that's bash interpreting the ( character.  Try:

grub-setup -r '(hd0,8)'

> Here is my /etc/boot/grub/grub.cfg file, as grub made it.
>
> ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
> set default=0
> set timeout=5
> ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
>
> ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
> menuentry "GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.31.6" {
>         insmod ext2
>         set root=(hd0,8)
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
> 63b80cfb-acd0-4f80-ae29-a4b12b4145a6
>         linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 root=/dev/hda8 ro
> }
> menuentry "GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.31.6 (recovery mode)" {
>         insmod ext2
>         set root=(hd0,8)
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
> 63b80cfb-acd0-4f80-ae29-a4b12b4145a6
>         linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 root=/dev/hda8 ro single
> }
>
> Some parts were removed. BTW, the filesystem is actually ext3. Should I
> change it here?

This looks OK, but the search path is ignored in LFS.  You can remove
that, but it doesn't do any harm.  The file system being ext3 or ext2
doesn't matter to grub.  The difference is the journal and grub doesn't
write to the partition when booting.

   -- Bruce