linux-2.6.31.6 doesn't boot

Alberto Hernando pajaro.go at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 13:00:51 PST 2009

> Honestly, unless you are using pure64, you should use GRUB instead.
> Make shure that your IDE/PATA/SATA drivers are built right in the
> kernel. Just so you know.

Hi.

All these drivers are built in the kernel.
Now I'm trying  to use GRUB following the book and I get this:

root:/# grub-setup
No device is specified.

root:/# grub-setup -r (hd0,8)
bash: error sintáctico cerca del elemento inesperado `(' (syntax error near
unexpected `(' )

root:/# grub-setup -r /dev/hda8
No device is specified.

I'm trying to install lilo in the LFS partition, because I don't know how to
make lilo or grub to boot different kernels for different OS in different
partitions.
Here is my /etc/boot/grub/grub.cfg file, as grub made it.

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
set default=0
set timeout=5
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry "GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.31.6" {
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,8)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
63b80cfb-acd0-4f80-ae29-a4b12b4145a6
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 root=/dev/hda8 ro
}
menuentry "GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.31.6 (recovery mode)" {
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,8)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
63b80cfb-acd0-4f80-ae29-a4b12b4145a6
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 root=/dev/hda8 ro single
}

Some parts were removed. BTW, the filesystem is actually ext3. Should I
change it here?

Thanks