build problem LFS 6.5

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 13:43:21 PST 2009

On 11/28/09, Baho Utot wrote:

> make test | tee $CURRDIR/06.58.Check.log
> make install | tee $CURRDIR/06.58.Install.log
Logging helps so much when things go wrong.

As already mentioned

> Scripting an LFS build is *hard*

> 1.  Use jhalfs.  That is the most consistent way to do things
> and it keeps logs of everything you do.

I have used jhalfs time and time again and it succeeds.
You can watch the logs while it is building with tail -f.
You can find "error clues" to search google often getting ideas.

Most scripting "hard codes" specific version -- jhalfs is more reusable.

Note: jhalfs-2.3.1 on the live cd can't handle everything about
LFS-6.4 and later.
jhalfs-2.3.2 or svn-trunk is needed for LFS-6.4 and later.
Linux from scratch ALFS page tells how to download the latest version.

I only suggest this due to amount of time spent and it failing.
You can debrief what jhalfs did with its scripts in
lfs-commands/chapterXX/* and maybe detect what went wrong in handmade script.