UDEV - Not Leaving Well Enough Alone

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 25 12:54:10 PST 2009

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 18:29 -0600, alupu at verizon.net wrote:
>> The last thing is to start a flame here;  I still see a
>> need for floppies on Linux due to the relatively small
>> sizes of files in need to be quickly sneakered among
>> machines.
>
> Is this a machine predating USB? I can't imagine any other reason not to
> use flash drives for that purpose these days - dirt cheap, fit in a
> pocket, and I've honestly no idea where I could buy a new floppy disk
> these days...

Well, you don't use my machines, and on my machines, my rules
hold. When I bought a machine a few years ago, one of the first
things I did was put a floppy drive on it.

Remember the motto for LFS? "My Machine, My Rules"

Personally, I find arguing "well you shouldn't be doing that"
in cases like this to be non responsive to the OP's needs.

Whether you would chose to put a floppy drive on your machine is
irrelevant to the question. I use 'em. His question related to
why those "extra" devices were created, and that's what the

I have several machines I use which don't even HAVE USB interfaces,
nor a BIOS which could recognize them.

This is all IMO, of course.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.