grub problem

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 25 08:24:16 PST 2009

2009/11/25 su.sinnes <su.sinnes at mail.com>:
> <1) grub's kernel/linux line, the root=/dev/[is_incorrect] parameter
> <2) fstab's:  [is_incorrect] / root line
> <
> <Kernel may panic if it can't find its system in (1)
> <Kernel may find (1), but (2) is wrong
>
> <(1) and (2) can even be different if the kernel can use it.
>
> okay is there any other 64 bit boot loader that i can use instead of
> grub2?

 Well, you could use lilo (which needs bin86) - see the clfs
x86_64-64 book.  But I don't think it will be an efficient way
for you to proceed.

 If you get a kernel panic, that comes from linux - the
bootloader has done it's job.

 In the parameters you give the bootloader, there
is a line root=/dev/XYZ : you said you were using
a SATA drive, sothe root would normally be on e.g.
/dev/sda5.

 After that, it's down to the kernel's .config.

 Earlier, I think you said you were using vmware ?
This is probably the key to the problem - I'm guessing
it needs a specific disk driver, and perhaps that is
not part of the linux kernel (because vmware is a
proprietary product).  Maybe there is a vmware
support list or forum where you can ask for help ?

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"