UDEV - Not Leaving Well Enough Alone

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 25 05:57:31 PST 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:-

> That works for you, but for most people, it's far easier to use a usb
> thumb drive with capacities in GB to do the same thing.
>
> Some very old systems do not have usb connections, but many, if not
> most, newer systems do not have a floppy drive.  Parallel printer
> connections have gone away too.
>
>   -- Bruce
>

> Bruce, i have to say that I agree, but I'm not sure who is using those "old
systems (that) do not have usb connections."

When all we had in the way of removable media was floppy disks then there
was no choice.  However, they were unreliable then just as they are today.
I remember buying packets of floppy disks only to find that when I started
to use them some were faulty.  Today we have a whole array of removable
media from which to choose.  It seems churlish, therefore, to select
something that is built on outdated and unreliable technology.

If I had my way I would round up all the floppy disks in the world and burn
them, thus doing everybody a favour.  And while I was at it I would throw
all those clunky old fax machines onto the same fire.

Richard