menu.lst and fstab

Paul W. Lane kc9eye at verizon.net
Tue Nov 24 16:32:42 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM, linux fan <linuxscratch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/09, Ken Moffat wrote:
>>  The names of the devices in grub and within linux are two separate
>> things.  For an explanation of why /dev/hdX becomes /dev/sdX
>> see Simon's response to another thread.

If the kernel is newer than 2.6.19 (I believe) libata is used if you
are supporting generic ATA devices. With this if the device is a
generic ATA and the kerenl is configured to use the generic ATA driver
(libata), then all your generic ATA devices should be named /dev/sd*.
Try these two resources:
http://lwn.net/Articles/198344/
http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

p.s. I believe that this does not hold true for some distro kerenls,
namely Ubuntu/Debian, and the like. They still use the old /dev/hd*
naming convention. By the way thanks to the LFS crew, if not for the
LFS book, I would have never learned any of this.

--
P.Lane
KC9EYE