menu.lst and fstab

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:10:59 PST 2009

On 11/24/09, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  The names of the devices in grub and within linux are two separate
> things.  For an explanation of why /dev/hdX becomes /dev/sdX
> see Simon's response to another thread.
>
>  /dev/hdX (from the old IDE drivers) is now regarded as legacy, except
> for old ppc macintoshes.

I'm just saying that if I connect an old WDC WD600BB IDE hard drive to
the ribbon cable from mobo, it will be /dev/hdx in linux and in grub.
If I connect same hard drive to a sata converter and hook it to a sata
port, it will be /dev/sdx to linux and hd to grub-speak. Whether it is
legacy, it still can work.