menu.lst and fstab

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 09:12:45 PST 2009

2009/11/24 linux fan <linuxscratch at gmail.com>:
> On 11/24/09, Jeremy Henty <onepoint at starurchin.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 08:24:53AM -0700, Trent Shea wrote:
>>
>>> It really depends on how you  build your kernel; hd* is still valid,
>>> as far as I'm aware.
>>
>> That's  not my  experience.  My  /dev/hd* devices  disappeared  when I
>> upgraded  2.6.27 to  2.6.28 and  I have  no /dev/sr*  or  new /dev/sd*
>> devices.
>
> /dev/hd* devices will exist if there is hardware that is of that type.
> My ancient system does have slots for hd drives and if an hd type drive
> is plugged into a slot, there will be a corresponding /dev/hd* device.
>
> Theoretically (haven't tested), if there are no hd type drives
> connected, there won't be any /dev/hd* drives.
>
> As far as I am aware, greub always did, always will, call them hd.
> To be exact, it calls them hd when it means in grub-speak (hd0,
> and they can be called sd when it means in real-speak /dev/sda (if it is sata)
> So you can have a funny device map where it is hd on the left and sd
> on the right.

 The names of the devices in grub and within linux are two separate
things.  For an explanation of why /dev/hdX becomes /dev/sdX
see Simon's response to another thread.

 /dev/hdX (from the old IDE drivers) is now regarded as legacy, except
for old ppc macintoshes.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"