UDEV - Not Leaving Well Enough Alone

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 09:06:01 PST 2009

linux fan wrote:
> On 11/24/09, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 18:29 -0600, alupu at verizon.net wrote:
>>> The last thing is to start a flame here;  I still see a
>>> need for floppies on Linux
>
> Agree there is a need for floppies.
> I just used a floppy to boot memtest86+ which found a bad memory bank
> was bugging my system. I keep at least a few boot floppies around for
> the rare occasion when I totally mess everything up. And there is
> sometimes an occasion to  reboot to windows to sneaker a file over
> there.

That works for you, but for most people, it's far easier to use a usb
thumb drive with capacities in GB to do the same thing.

Some very old systems do not have usb connections, but many, if not
most, newer systems do not have a floppy drive.  Parallel printer
connections have gone away too.

   -- Bruce