Segmentation fault after stripping

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 21:01:36 PST 2009

linux fan wrote:

> Note: I had built up thru gmp-ch6 which is in the chroot
>
> Intending to umount and roll back, I get:
>
> df -ha
> /dev/sda11             11G  7.6G  2.7G  74% /
> /proc                    0     0     0   -  /proc
> sysfs                    0     0     0   -  /sys
> devpts                   0     0     0   -  /dev/pts
> tmpfs                 760M     0  760M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sdd10            5.1G  2.0G  2.9G  40% /mnt/lfs
> /dev                  760M  240K  759M   1% /mnt/lfs/dev
> devpts                   0     0     0   -  /mnt/lfs/dev/pts
> shm                   760M     0  760M   0% /mnt/lfs/dev/shm
> proc                     0     0     0   -  /mnt/lfs/proc
> sysfs                    0     0     0   -  /mnt/lfs/sys
> root at lfs:~# umount /mnt/lfs/sys
> root at lfs:~# umount /mnt/lfs/proc
> root at lfs:~# umount /mnt/lfs/dev/shm
> root at lfs:~# umount /mnt/lfs/dev/pts
> root at lfs:~# umount /mnt/lfs/dev
> root at lfs:~# umount /mnt/lfs
>
> umount /mnt/lfs
> Segmentation fault

I really don't know what's causing this.  It looks like you exited
chroot and umounted from there.  That would mean that the host system
caused the segfault.  It wouldn't have anything to do with the latest
build.  It could be a hw error of some kind if you are getting segfaults
both inside and outside chroot.  Have you tried booting int memtest86+
and checking your memory?

   -- Bruce