menu.lst and fstab

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 04:19:32 PST 2009

Also for the record the book LFS 6.5 does not tell you that the
entries in menu.lst and fstab need to be sd now and not hd.

LFS 6.5 chapter 8.4.2 the last entry before EOF should be sdxx and not hdxx

cat > boot/grub/menu.lst << "EOF"
# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0

# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
timeout 30

# Use prettier colors.
color green/black light-green/black

# The first entry is for LFS.
title LFS 6.5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.2 root=/dev/sda1
EOF

LFS 6.5 chapter 8.2 the /dev/hd should be /dev/sd

cat > /etc/fstab << "EOF"
# Begin /etc/fstab

# file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
#                                                        order

/dev/sda1     /            ext3  defaults        1     1
/dev/sda5     swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
tmpfs          /dev/shm     tmpfs  defaults        0     0
# End /etc/fstab
EOF

Once I changed these entries with the help of Paul my LFS system
booted with no problem.