8.4. GRUB-0.97

ga ho gazza1z at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 09:20:52 PST 2009

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:37:54 -0600
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: 8.4. GRUB-0.97
> To: LFS Support List <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
>
> linux fan wrote:
> > On 11/19/09, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> We changed the cp command for the kernel to:
> >>    cp -v arch/x86/boot/bzImage
> /boot/vmlinux-2.6.31.6-lfs-SVN-20091117
> >
> > It worked for me to just make a symlink in boot
> instread ot remaking
> > kernel just to get a new name.
>
> > ln -s lfskernel-2.6.31.6 vmlinux-2.6.31.6
>
> That will work, but why not just rename the file?
>
>    -- Bruce

How about this for a good reason for creating a symlink:

I have built 4 different LFS systems on 4 USB sticks each with a different kernel version which I would like to use on PCs that can't boot from USB.

So I created a boot CD but instead of the menu.lst file having 4 entries for each LFS kernel I have one entry which calls /boot/vmlinux-lfs.

This is a symlink to whichever lfskernel-2.x.xx.x kernel on the USB stick I want to boot from at the time. Not only does this work for my current LFS systems but it will also work for ones I build in future.

Regards,
Gary