8.4. GRUB-0.97

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:01:48 PST 2009

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> linux fan wrote:
>>> It worked for me to just make a symlink in boot instread ot remaking
>>> kernel just to get a new name.
>>> ln -s lfskernel-2.6.31.6 vmlinux-2.6.31.6
>> That will work, but why not just rename the file?
>
> Because you lose any possible audit trail, and have only your
> own memory to keep track.

Audit trail of what?  You already change the name when you copy bzImage
to /boot.  You can append any string you want to vmlinux to provide info
about where it comes from.

I name mine

vmlinux-2.6.30.2-lfs65
vmlinux-2.6.31.6-lfsdev-SVN-20091117

Of course it's your system, so you can name the kernel images anything
you want.  You can also edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux line 64:

   list=`for i in /boot/vmlinu[xz]-* /vmlinu[xz]-* ; do

to match your kernel file name convention, but you would probably have
to re-edit it if you installed a new version of GRUB over an old one.

   -- Bruce