Installing initrd

Shirley Temple lharoz6 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:57:24 PST 2009

Hi,

I finished the book and when I boot up my system I got: Kernel Panic:VMFS
unable to mount :(

So I checked out
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#unable-to-mount-root

Everything is correct (grub, options for installing kernel, filesystem)

My only two options for my scsi host system is to either compile the drivers
into the kernel at make time or to add initrd, I believe? I checked out on
google about compiling the drivers into the kernel and it looked above my
level. So I checked the hints section and came to:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/initrd.txt

I am having issues getting the menuconfig in busybox to work. Here is where
I am at:

root:/sources/busybox-1.00-pre10# make menuconfig
make -C scripts/config ncurses conf mconf
make[1]: Entering directory `/sources/busybox-1.00-pre10/scripts/config'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -I. -c conf.c -o
conf.o
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -I. -c zconf.tab.c -o
zconf.tab.o
lex.zconf.c:2969: warning: 'input' defined but not used
gcc  conf.o zconf.tab.o -o conf
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-DCURSES_LOC="<ncurses.h>" -I. -c mconf.c -o mconf.o
mconf.c:104: error: static declaration of 'current_menu' follows non-static
declaration
lkc.h:63: note: previous declaration of 'current_menu' was here
mconf.c: In function 'conf_string':
mconf.c:574: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'sym_set_string_value' differ in signedness
lkc_proto.h:29: note: expected 'const char *' but argument is of type
'unsigned char *'
mconf.c: In function 'conf_load':
mconf.c:595: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'conf_read'
differ in signedness
lkc_proto.h:4: note: expected 'const char *' but argument is of type
'unsigned char *'
mconf.c: In function 'conf_save':
mconf.c:616: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'conf_write'
differ in signedness
lkc_proto.h:5: note: expected 'const char *' but argument is of type
'unsigned char *'
make[1]: *** [mconf.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/busybox-1.00-pre10/scripts/config'
make: *** [scripts/config/mconf] Error 2
root:/sources/busybox-1.00-pre10#

I have  also tried to make menuconfig with the kernel options I specified
like LANG=en_US, no luck.  I also tried with make oldconfig since it seems
to default the options I need and I get stuck here when compiling:

archival/gzip.c:2165: error: conflicting types for 'build_bl_tree'
archival/gzip.c:1643: note: previous declaration of 'build_bl_tree' was here
make: *** [archival/gzip.o] Error 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks