building x86_64 using lsflivecd-86_64

Lapohos Tibor tibor.lapohos at rogers.com
Sat Nov 14 09:56:44 PST 2009

Hello All,

I the the 6.4 book thourgh, and it worked out very nicely. Now I need a 64 bit version. I am aware that the support for 64 bit systems is only about to come in a future release of LFS, but I would like to give it a shot somehow, since that is what I need. In order to do this, one needs a 64-bit compiler and kernel, which the x86_64 lsflivecd has, at least in my understanding. Having said that, I would like to ask a few questions:

1) For now, I am booting off the x86_64 lsflivecd, and I am following the CLFS way to build a 64-bit multilib system, although pure 64 would suffice, and somehow I find it unnatural that one would need to cross-compile, while building for the host, on the host itself. It just doesn't feel right. Or am I completelly wrong?

2) While on the x86_64 lsflivecd platform, by following the LSF 6.5 instructions one should, more or less, be able to build a 64 bit system. A few parameters would need to be modified only, right? For example, having --target=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu among the compilation parameters, should on its own invoke 64-bit output generation. A few settings could also be borrowed from the CLFS book, in order to get 64-bit generation enabled, right? By the way, would that not be the default gcc setting on a 64-bit platform? I mean, automatically?

3) The lsflivecd (x86_64) site mentions an unofficial version of the, I suppose, 64-bit version book, that I hope would contain some pointers for me to start with, but neither could I find it in the mounted CD iso image nor on the webpages. Is such thing really available? A pointer to any version or draft would be highly appreciated.

Thank you All in advance,
Tibor