Grub-1.97 problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:34:28 PST 2009

linux fan wrote:
> On 11/11/09, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> # grub-install --grub-setup=/bin/true  /dev/sda11
>> This should be /dev/sda, but I see you tried that too.
>
> Now I really _want_ to install grub on individual partitions so that I
> can chainloader to different installations like grub-legacy has let me
> do for years.
>
> grub-install /dev/sdb8
> grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of
> the MBR.  This is a BAD idea.
> grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
> installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
> UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged.
> grub-setup: error: If you really want blocklists, use --force.
>
> USE THE FORCE, LUKE ...
>
> grub-setup --force /dev/sdb8
> grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of
> the MBR.  This is a BAD idea.
> grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
> installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
> UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged.
>
> It didn't ...
> It it didn't put grub on /dev/sdb8 ... the grub-legacy is still there
> "GNU Grub 0.97"
>
> Plus, grub-legacy used to let you "setup grub" from the grub command
> line is you had booted from a floppy, or a cd, or some other way.
>
> I think that is a major function loss.

The problem with GRUB Legacy is that it didn't support 64-bit systems --
at least it have to be built from a 32-bit system.  This is a major
drawback in that virtually every new Intel/AMD system is 64-bit capable.

You might want to discuss options about how to do what you want with the
GRUB developers: