Grub-1.97 problems

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 05:51:26 PST 2009

On 11/12/09, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> I just had an aha!
>>
>> Try rebuilding grub without the --disable-largefile switch.  Your
>> partition is 11G and that probably is causing it to fail.  I don't know
>> what the threshold is.  I'll investigate.
>
> man 2 open
>
>    O_LARGEFILE
>      (LFS) Allow files whose sizes cannot be represented in an off_t
>      (but  can  be  represented  in an off64_t) to be opened.

AHA!

root at lfs:/# grub-install --grub-setup=/bin/true  /dev/sda
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

> In this case LFS stands for Large File Support.  Doing some Googling, it
> looks like the limit is 2G without Large File Support.

> I've always used a standalone /boot partition of 100M or so and haven't
> run into this before.

I used to use the standalone /boot, but I would get confused and have
/boot/boot/grub.
I started making a symlink at the root of the /boot partition like this:
ln -s boot/grub grub

Then I could always say /boot/grub ... mounted or not

I kept building kernels, and /boot partition kept filling up, and
eventually I switched to just using a /boot directory on the root /.

Now I still make that symlink on the root /
ln -s boot/grub grub
so I can be really lazy and type /grub/menu.lst ... er, uh /grub/grub.cfg ...

I'm going to reboot and try it now.

Thanks!