Grub-1.97 problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:21:07 PST 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I just had an aha!
>
> Try rebuilding grub without the --disable-largefile switch.  Your
> partition is 11G and that probably is causing it to fail.  I don't know
> what the threshold is.  I'll investigate.

man 2 open

   O_LARGEFILE
     (LFS) Allow files whose sizes cannot be represented in an off_t
     (but  can  be  represented  in an off64_t) to be opened.

In this case LFS stands for Large File Support.  Doing some Googling, it
looks like the limit is 2G without Large File Support.

I've always used a standalone /boot partition of 100M or so and haven't
run into this before.  If omitting --disable-largefile fixes the problem
for you, then I'll update the book.

    -- Bruce