Error at 5.8 Adjusting the Toolchain (Last stable version of the book)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 13:51:35 PST 2009

Chris Staub wrote:
> On 11/05/2009 04:24 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Chris Staub wrote:
>>>>
>>> No need for that...long as /bin/bash is specified for the LFS user.
>> I'm not sure about that Chris.  That means that no script will ever
>> invoke sh.  IIRC, glibc is especailly bad about having bashisms in sh
>> scripts.
>>
> I have built LFS using /bin/sh -> dash (and /usr/bin/awk -> mawk)
> recently with no problems. I know Glibc has had problems before with
> using bashisms but not specifying Bash, but that has been fixed. Don't
> really know what you mean by "no script will ever invoke sh".

Interesting.  That is a recent change then because it has caused
problems in the past.  I still think that bash/awk are known to be good.
  Others may cause problems or may work.  It may even depend on the
package versions.

Sometimes scripts will invoke subscripts with '/bin/sh script'.  Whether
that will work with dash depends on the script.  We know the book's
instructions work with bash.  I really don't want to get into the
business of checking the book's instructions with multiple versions of
host tools.

   -- Bruce