Error at 5.8 Adjusting the Toolchain (Last stable version of the book)

pieter blomme pieter.blomme at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 12:40:20 PST 2009

This is wat version-check.sh outputs (after I installed gawk (again, I had
already done once manually from the soundcloud database, but something might
have gone wrong ofcourse)):

bash, version 4.0.33(1)-release
/bin/sh -> /bin/dash
Binutils: (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20
bison (GNU Bison) 2.4.1
yacc not found
bzip2,  Version 1.0.5, 10-Dec-2007.
Coreutils:  7.4
diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.1
find (GNU findutils) 4.4.2
GNU Awk 3.1.6
/usr/bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk
gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) 4.4.1
GNU C Library (EGLIBC) stable release version
GNU grep 2.5.4
gzip 1.3.12
Linux version 2.6.31-14-386 (buildd at rothera) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu
4.4.1-4ubuntu8) ) #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 16:41:14 UTC 2009
m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.13
GNU Make 3.81
patch 2.5.9
Perl version='5.10.0';
GNU sed version 4.2.1
tar (GNU tar) 1.22
./version-check.sh: line 32: makeinfo: command not found
Compilation OK

not sure what the missing yacc-problem is, since I downloaded yacc without
much problems

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM, William Immendorf
<will.immendorf at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM, pieter blomme <pieter.blomme at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Checking the config.log didn't teach me a lot of new things.  But the
> error
> > came before installing Binutils in second pass allready.  Judging by the
> > error, I suppose it has to do with the C-compiler, so here's the Glibc
> make
> > and make install output from the shell:
> > mawk -f scripts/gen-sorted.awk
> > \
> >                -v subdirs='csu assert ctype locale intl catgets math
> setjmp
> > signal stdlib stdio-common libio malloc string wcsmbs time dirent grp pwd
> > posix io termios resource misc socket sysvipc gmon gnulib iconv iconvdata
> > wctype manual shadow gshadow po argp crypt nss localedata timezone rt
> > conform debug  dlfcn elf'
> The reason that Glibc can't compile is that you have Mawk on your
> system. Just run:
>
> sudo apt-get install gawk
>
> and try recompiling glibc. Oh, and what does version-check.sh output?
>

> --
> William Immendorf
> The ultimate in free computing.

Groeten,