error when booting

Aleksandar Kuktin akuktin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 05:00:39 PST 2009

>On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:30:09 +0100
>Simone Dalmasso <simone.dalmasso at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I've built the 6.5 LFS. My host was a kubuntu 9.10 under a virtual
> machine. All worked fine during the building but now, when I've
> installed the new grub and I try to boot the LFS, I get an error like:
> cannot open root "sda5" or unknown block(2,0)
> Please append a correct root= boot option. Here available partitions:
> 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr
> 0b01 1048575 sr1 driver:sr
> kernel panic...
>
> My /boot /grub/menu.lst file is:
> title LFS
> root (hd0,4)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.2 root=/dev/sda5
>
> The sda5 partition is where I built the lfs, it's correct.
> Can you help?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Simone

Seems you have not compiled the kernel with the proper device driver for
the HDD.

You could try changing the kernel options and try to boot with, say,
root=/dev/sr1 but the fix is to revisit kernel configuration and select
the proper driver.
BTW, you may need more than just the HDD driver. On some motherboards,
you must also select other drivers (for example, RAID driver even if
you don't intend to use RAID (only one disk?)).

The specifics are hardware-dependant.

-Aleksandar Kuktin