User based package management (was: inetutils fails in compilation)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:36:06 PST 2009

2009/11/3 Timothy Rice <t.rice at ms.unimelb.edu.au>:

> In fact, I think my attempts to get the boot configuration set up properly
> would certainly have destroyed all my work already if I *didn't* use UBPM,
> since I have had to recompile the kernel a few times, for instance to
> compare the difference between using modules and not using them. Doing
> such "playing around" as the root user - rather than, say, the
> linux-2.6.30.2 user - seems like something of a risky proposition,
> suitable maybe for LFS pros but certainly *not* us noobs.

 I don't see how using a package user helps with multiple
kernel versions, but it's your system, so your rules, and
use whatever works for you.

 I will make two recommendations - build as a normal
user (I build kernels as myself, in my home directory),
and make sure you add some sort of distinguishing
identifier, e.g. on the end of EXTRAVERSION, so that
modules from one build don't overwrite modules
from an earlier build of the same kernel version with
a different config.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"