lfs 6.5 binutils

Geoff Howell howlie02 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 19:33:17 PST 2009

Hi everyone
I'm new here, and first time trying to build a linux system.
I'm trying to build lfs6.5 on a debian lenny system inside a ViritualBox vm. I'm following the book to the letter (copy/paste instructions rather than typing by hand), and have not got beyond glibc in chapter 6.
My system meets or exceeds software requirements from version-check.sh.
First problem: binutils in ch5 - it compiles successfully, but when I check what's installed I find no libopcodes or libbfd in /tools/lib (or anywhere else for that matter). So, is this an issue (ie are these lib files required or can I proceed without them?)

Second problem: will bring it up after first problem is solved :) as it may be related.

I don't think that my host system has these libs either (but can't confirm that right now as I'm at work). I've installed build-essential and linux headers (2.6.26-2).

After much searching I can't find any answer on this. Does anyone have any idea why these libs are not installed? I can provide further information later this evening when I'm at home.

Thanks
Geoff