Interface eth0 does not exist

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Sun Nov 1 19:31:06 PST 2009

Dominic Ringuet wrote:
> I had a strange bug on an old laptop with xircom modem/ethernet card. The
> network card was called eth1 while eth0 was used for the serial port on the
> card.

Also check the mac address.

The OP mentioned that this is being built inside a VMWare product.  My
experience with VMWare is that if the network interface is removed and
readded, or the VM is moved from one directory to another, it will
prompt to reset the ID's used for the VM.  It's possible that the MAC
address of the interface has changed since the initial build of the system.