Interface eth0 does not exist

Dominic Ringuet dringuet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 12:53:05 PST 2009

I had a strange bug on an old laptop with xircom modem/ethernet card. The
network card was called eth1 while eth0 was used for the serial port on the
card.

You can verify if you have similar issues, from the prompt:

$ ifconfig -a

Then see if some eth1 shows up. Under the same issue, if my memory works
correctly, you will need to:

$ mv /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth1

Good luck,

Dominic.