Unable to boot LFS 6.4

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 29 20:05:33 PDT 2009

Jaiyson,

> [  2.417123] VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
> [  2.417224] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the
> available partitions:
> [  2.417360] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
> on unknown-block(2,0)

The first thing I would check into is make sure your kernel is compiled
with the correct drivers for your chipset. Seeing the reference to
'hda(2)' you'll need to make sure you have the correct IDE drivers
compiled into the kernel. Make sure you have the correct chipset chosen
(Intel, VIA, etc).

Also ensure while you're at it that you have the correct filesystem
drivers selected. Seeing you use ext3, that shouldn't be a problem, but
you might as well double-check.

Gerard