LFS 6.3 Chapter 6.9.1 readelf Problem

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 14 06:20:07 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:29:57PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:49:14AM +0200, lifrsc.m.klswlff at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> > Ken Moffat wrote:
> > >
> > >  I'm also puzzled why anyone would build 6.3 now.  It's old.
> > >
> > > ĸen
> > Maybe because the last stable version of BLFS is BLFS 6.3 ?
> >
> > Klaus
>  Sure it is.  But, most of the time people can use development BLFS
> without problems.

 OK, so I'm back in business - didn't need a replacement set-top
box.  I'll try to elaborate:

 The development BLFS is almost always "coherent" within itself.
Worst case, it might be necessary to rebuild a small group of
packages if a version turns out to be problematic (e.g. xine-lib,
ffmpeg, kdemultimedia a few months ago).

 The tradeoff for using an old released BLFS with the matching old
LFS release is package bugs including vulnerabilities.  Usually, we
prefer to update to a new release of a package to fix bugs, but
sometimes too much ha changed.  Last week I decided to stop
maintaining my own LFS-6.3 installation because I couldn't find a
vulnerability fix for the old version of poppler which compiled.
Now, there is another possible source for a fix for that (rhel5)
so I might reconsider, if time permits (but I've already spent far
too long on computing, and too narrowly focussed on x86, this year).

ĸen