Error in NCURSES-5.7 Procedure?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 1 17:54:13 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 07:08:46PM -0400, alupu wrote:

> > what is your host system?
>
> 3. Sorry, my fault.  I thought the problem was independent
> of the particular host system.
> A few details (more can be provided, upon request):
>
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, (B)LFS.  Kernel: 2.6.28.8,  Udev: 141
>
> One might say I'm at _B_LSF level, with certain holes
> plugged in with the help of _L_FS procedures.
> Moving from my original, _2005_ LFS ncurses 5.4 to
> the latest, 5.7, is a case in point (i.e. keeping up with the
> Joneses).
>

> > Third, are you compiling ncurses from chapter 5 or chapter 6?
>
> 4. Chapter 6 (chapter 5 procedure, which I suppose is for
> installing ncurses for the first time, is very simple, not
> containing the more sophisticated steps of 6, as seen
> in my post.)
>

> > In virtually every case, problems like yours are due to an
> > accidental deviation from the book's earlier instructions
> > or trying to do things in an unsupported manner.

 I'm still having trouble understanding this : you're saying that
you are in chroot building lfs-dev, and symlinks in your original
install are breaking, causing problems in e.g. vim.  Note that at
this point in a normal build we don't have vim, and whatever we do in
chroot should not alter your host system.

 To me, that sounds like you are using a "rebuild everything in
place, but using newer versions" method.  We should be able to
rebuild in-place to prove that a system can rebuild itself, but
upgrading versions of random packages without attending to
idiosyncracies and symlinks _will_ eventually produce this sort of
problem.  I've updated a lot of packages on my systems (mostly blfs,
but some in lfs) since LFS-6.3 and some of them need extra actions to
fix things up.  I've also had a lot of breakage porting the
ncursesw-5.6 stuff to my own builds of clfs (the symptom there is
that the next package, procps I think, fails to compile).

 But, you say you haven't deviated from the book.  So, what am I
missing ?  In particular, how are the updates in chroot able to
trash your host system ?

 You also say that your *host* system was running udev-141 (I like
that, but I'm surprised if it was an upgrade from earlier than this
year), and yet it was running ncurses-5.4.  -EDOES_NOT_COMPUTE

 Also, for LFS systems, it's conventional to label them by the book
version (release, or date) - running a recent kernel (or udev
version) says nothing about the underlying system.  I think we can
assume it isn't using gcc-3.3-series for that kernel, but basically
you've told us nothing.  OTOH, if you have a mix of package versions
then the original LFS version won't tell us anything either.

 Don't get me wrong - I like keeping systems going.  But I take the
old-fashioned view that the best way to upgrade LFS is to build a new
one on a different partition.

ĸen