JHALFS with QEMU 6.3 LiveCD Fails

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 30 14:22:23 PDT 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> make[1]: Entering directory `/media/hda1/build/sources/linux-2.6.27.4'
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/hda1/build/sources/linux-2.6.27.4'
>> cp: cannot stat `../kernel-config': No such file or directory
>>
>> So, it looks like a required file is not present. I don't recall whether
>> I configured it to build the kernel, but this does look like a possible
>> defect in the tool.
>
> You have to create kernel-config yourself.  There is no way to know in advance
> what hardware you have.

Ok, I'm still confused. This is the Chapter 5 build, and I see
nothing in there about kernel-config. If the commands are simply
extracted from the book, then I don't see where the book describes
how to construct that file. I also read the Chapter 6 build
instructions for the Linux API, and see nothing about how to create
that file.

So, I still don't know what to do about this. The book does not
describe building that file in either Chapter 5 or Chapter 6.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.