LFS on AMD Geode

vono vono22 at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 30 14:20:20 PDT 2009

Juergen Beisert a écrit :
> On Sonntag, 29. März 2009, vono wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to build a LinuxFromScratch on my netbook (hercule efacé)
>> with an AMD Geode CPU
>> Most of compiles programs building by the first gcc build (§5.5
>> GCC-4.3.2 - Pass 1) failed to execute with "Illegal instruction" error...
>>

> For what kind of architecture does this compiler generate code?
>
> $ touch test.c
> $ <your-compiler> -S -fverbose-asm
> $ less test.s
>
> Perhaps this could help you to find any wrong architecture guessing made by
> your compiler.
>
> BTW: I'm working with an older Geode (so called Geode-GX1). The compiler (and
> the system) works fine with the default setting "-march=pentium-mmx". But on
> this old CPU the mmx instructions must be enabled in special CPU register
> bits prior usage (otherwise ---> "Illegal instruction..."). Maybe its still
> required on more recent Geode CPUs...
>
> jbe

I try yesterday to compile the /tools directory on my laptop (dell
machine, with intel Centrino CPU, running Debian Lenny 32bits).
And then on my netbook, build & run some tests (using my gcc compile
pass 2) , like TCL which failed previously.
And all run with no error at all.

I don't understand...

I'm rebuilding gcc (I delete all my previous builds), to see what gcc
will give my with your test.
It takes hours, since the CPU is very slow. I will have the answer
tomorrow :)

Thanks for your help.

Yvon.