LFS on AMD Geode

Juergen Beisert juergen127 at kreuzholzen.de
Sun Mar 29 23:28:28 PDT 2009

On Sonntag, 29. März 2009, vono wrote:
> I'm trying to build a LinuxFromScratch on my netbook (hercule efacé)
> with an AMD Geode CPU
> Most of compiles programs building by the first gcc build (§5.5
> GCC-4.3.2 - Pass 1) failed to execute with "Illegal instruction" error...

For what kind of architecture does this compiler generate code?

$ touch test.c
$ <your-compiler> -S -fverbose-asm
$ less test.s

Perhaps this could help you to find any wrong architecture guessing made by
your compiler.

BTW: I'm working with an older Geode (so called Geode-GX1). The compiler (and
the system) works fine with the default setting "-march=pentium-mmx". But on
this old CPU the mmx instructions must be enabled in special CPU register
bits prior usage (otherwise ---> "Illegal instruction..."). Maybe its still
required on more recent Geode CPUs...

jbe