A Modest Proposal for JHALFS Enhancement

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 23:57:26 PDT 2009

Mike McCarty wrote:
> In the vein of being able to build small systems, I hereby make
> this modest proposal for an enhancement to JHALFS. Currently,
> the system builds in a subdirectory of the configurable sources
> directory, which must, therefore, be on read/write storage.
>
> I suggest that the actual directory in which builds take place
> also be configurable, and not be required to be a sub directory
> of the sources directory.
>
> This would have two desirable consequences. First, the sources
> could reside on an immutable medium, like a CD-ROM,

Nothing prevents you keeping a copy on CD-ROM now.

  and not
> consume precious (on small systems) disc space. Second, the
> sources would be immutable, and hence not subject to accidental
> modification.

This doesn't make sense to me.  If you want to put it on a small system, build
it on a workstation and copy it to the small system.  It sounds like a painful
process to build on a small system, especially when there is no need.  After
all, if you do this, you don't need to copy *any* sources to the small system.

There are other considerations.  The build process takes a lot of room.  glibc
takes 1.2G, but the final system is only about 250M and a *lot* less if you
strip it down.

That said, I'm sure the JHALFS team will look closely at any patches you want to
submit.

   -- Bruce