I managed to wipe out my host /dev/ directory

Richard Russell rrussell49 at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 26 11:41:09 PDT 2009

First time post here but I've installed 4 different versions of LFS
without too much mishap. I think my build method would avoid this
problem so I would like to share it with the Support List. Simple
really. Just embed the chroot command in a short shell script that
includes mount commands to bind the host /dev to $LFS/dev and host /
tools to $LFS/tools before the chroot and umount them when chroot
returns.
I also put /etc/fstab in place before I start building packages. Then
you can use commands like mount -a and mount /proc in $LFS/
root/.bash_profile and the corresponding umount commands in $LFS/
root/.bash_logout to automatically put your LFS environment into a
complete state whenever you enter the LFS partition and clear up after
you when come out again.
Regard
Richard Russell