I managed to wipe out my host /dev/ directory

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 24 00:28:39 PDT 2009

Dan Tran wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> what is your original distribution?  RedHat ES5?

Fedora Core 2

> I am able do some primative shell commands thru myweb console ( lucky i guess)
>
> + rpm -qf /dev
> filesystem-2.4.0-1
> + uname -a
> Linux fortidb 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:48:18 EDT 2007
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> finished: SUCCESS

Try doing the same thing on another one you know
will give you the rest of the name for the RPM.
Your RPM is going to be named something like

filesystem-2.4.0-1.i386.rpm

or

filesystem-2.4.0-1.i686.rpm

etc.

So, look for something which will tell
you the whole name. My system has /etc
supplied by filesystem-2.2.4-1.

> Thanks for for advice

I hope it helps. I'll poke around and see what I can
find out about RH 5.0 and names for RPMs and maybe
a URL for you.

Perhaps we should take this off the LFS list, since it's
getting pretty far OT by now.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.