I managed to wipe out my host /dev/ directory

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 23 08:43:09 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 06:17:45PM -0700, Dan Tran wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a first time user of LFS, and was away from linux related wor for
> quite some time.
>
> I am now at chroot phase where I managed to  wipe out my $LFS/dev
> directory which was still bound to the actual /dev
>
> My  system is still functional, i just can not login ::(
>
> my original host is 32 bit redhat 5.0.
>
> It would be very appreciate if someone can tell me how to recover my
> /dev directory.

 I assume you mean redhat _enterprise_ : redhat 5.0 was current in
1998 or thereabouts!

 Modern desktop distributions which use udev will usually mount /dev
on a tmpfs.  If that is the case, it should be recreated when you
reboot.

 If that is not the answer, you'll need to boot from the installation
CD/DVD and use whatever rescue options that gives you.

ĸen