A Suggestion For A Simple Package Manager

Tobias Gasser lfs at ebp-gasser.ch
Mon Mar 23 03:25:35 PDT 2009

Tushar Teredesai schrieb:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Tobias Gasser <lfs at ebp-gasser.ch> wrote:
>> i'll explain why i NEVER will use any package-manager:
>>

> Looks like you have based your comments based primarily on package
> management used by "binary distros". The features that you describe
> are available in source based package distros such as those used by
> Gentoo, Lunar Linux. Gentoo uses USE flags to set what features to
> compile for each package. Lunar Linux prompts the user the first time
> an optional feature is available for a particular package. Both
> distros (and I am guessing other source based distros) provide an
> option to compile and install a minimal version of the package.

sorry, but possibly we don't agree about the term "package management".
i never thought about a source distro is using really a package manager.

if i have to learn my sight is to narrow, be welcome to update my knowledge!

for me, a package is something wich can be used to install something
where as the package manager helps resolving all (or at least most)
dependencies. the manager has options to remove or update a package too,
maybe even an option to find unneeded packages.

this definition (as i was convinced to be correct) implies the
compile-time options for any package to be set by the package builder.

tobias