Don't Understand

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Mar 22 01:48:48 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 19:16 +1100, Laurence Jeloudev wrote:
> setting up the environment command
>
> this starts off with the command cat
>
>   i typed it in and everything was frozen or destroyed after that it
> didnt respond at all

You are referring, I take it, to the following commands?

cat > ~/.bash_profile << "EOF"
exec env -i HOME=$HOME TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' /bin/bash
EOF

What this means is that we run cat, reading all input up until we find a
line consisting of EOF, and write it to ~/.bash_profile. If the command
is freezing, you've probably mistyped something, such that it hasn't
recognised the EOF line, and is continuing to send everything you type
to ~/.bash_profile.

Simon.