Backup of LFS

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 19 02:43:47 PDT 2009

Ryan Isaacs wrote:
> I have a fresh LFS 6.4 installation, all I've done is add 1 user. Is
> there a preferred way to back it up (and restore)?
>
> Would it be sufficient to just use the liveCD, mount my paritition,
> and 'cp -ar', or do I need to do something more arcane like 'dd'?

It depends upon what your goals are. Do you want a quick'n'dirty
way to put the disc back the way it was? If so, then the "dd"
mentioned in another post is one easy way to do that. If you are
asking more about generally how to back up Linux, then there are
several systems. Many like Amanda or Bacula. I've used tar with
various hand generated scripts. Lately, I've changed over to using
yakup, which seems to work reasonably well, allows incrementals,
checks the results. One thing I don't like about it is that it
doesn't put a TOC on the backup discs themselves, only in the
backup repository. Another thing I don't like about it is
that it stores the entire directory structure, even if no files
have changed. So, I get megabyte sized TOCs which are essentially
just a list of my entire directory structure, with a few hundred
bytes of file names.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.