A Suggestion For A Simple Package Manager

genericmaillists at gmail.com genericmaillists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:13:25 PDT 2009

<frank.peters at comcast.net> wrote:
> > The problem, I strongly feel, is in the make program itself.
> > For some reason, the developers of the standard GNU build
> > sequence, that is "./configure, make, and make install," did
> > not choose to create an install log for the user after the
> > final step. The make program will simply write all files to
> > disk without creating any nice and neat record of what it is
> > doing.  Considering the critical importance of knowing where
> > all the files are located, I can't understand why an install
> > log provision has ever been left out.
>
> Because that goes against the Unix developer mentality.

And that is one of the problems with programers regardless what
software or OS. I understand they do things for speed and brevity
but for people coming behind them it makes learning difficult.

> Providing
> an "checkinstall"

Providing a "checkinstall" ;)

> style functionality is not the purpose of make.
> According to the man page: "The purpose of the make utility is to
> determine automatically which pieces of a large program need to
> be recompiled, and issue the commands to recompile them."
>
> What you mention as critical is only for critical for a LFSer.

I disagree, some users even on distros might want to know this
information.

--
http://www.wowgreen.net/11324