GCC-4.3.2 - Pass 2 - expect -c "spawn ls"

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 18 12:56:20 PDT 2009

  SKOC(DOPOLE Tomáš wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have booted LFS live CD and now I am in the chapter 5.12. GCC-4.3.2 - Pass 2.
> I have some question about this command:
> lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-4.3.2$ expect -c "spawn ls"
>
> I got this response:
> spawn ls
> but in the book is written this response:
> The system has no more ptys.
> Ask your system administrator to create more.

You got some possibly useful answers. I thought I'd explain
the meaning of the error. A pty is a "pseudo terminal"
used for connecting the standard input and output files
when a program is run by another program which wants to
trick the program running into thinking it is connected to
a terminal, but control the input and capture the output. In this case,
"expect" is running "spawn" which runs "ls", and your system
has not enough (possibly none) pseudo terminals to make
this work.

> I want to ask you about this difference outputs.
>
> And my second question is about possibility interrupt compiling and after some time to continuing.
> I have ssh daemon started in target machine and I am compiling my LFS remotely.
> I tried to start screen, but i give this error:
> $ screen
> Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/1' - please check.

This looks like /dev/pts is an ordinary directory instead of a
collection of devices mapped to your terminal, as pointed out
in another message.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.