A Suggestion For A Simple Package Manager

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 18 12:46:08 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters at comcast.net> wrote:
> The problem, I strongly feel, is in the make program itself.
> For some reason, the developers of the standard GNU build
> sequence, that is "./configure, make, and make install," did
> not choose to create an install log for the user after the final step.
> The make program will simply write all files to disk without
> creating any nice and neat record of what it is doing.  Considering
> the critical importance of knowing where all the files are located,
> I can't understand why an install log provision has ever been left out.

Because that goes against the Unix developer mentality. Providing an
"checkinstall" style functionality is not the purpose of make.
According to the man page: "The purpose of the make utility is to
determine automatically which pieces of a large program need to be
recompiled, and issue the commands to recompile them."

What you mention as critical is only for critical for a LFSer.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org