Best Version to Build?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 18 08:23:53 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:20:30PM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I started LFS 6.3, and got to the point where I was ready to make
> it bootable, but got interrupted (several months ago). I'm now
> ready to take the plunge again, and resume or restart building.
>
> So, I'm asking the development team which version is considered
> the best to use at the moment. Is 6.3 now considered "retired"?
> Is 6.4 considered sufficiently "stable"? I see that there is
> a 6.4 stable, and a 6.4 development.
>
> I've been using the "alongside" note, and building on a working
> running FC2 system.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> Mike
 I've hesitated to reply on this because I've not done much active
development on LFS recently.  Any LFS release can be regarded as
"retired" as soon as the next release has been made.  The word
"stable" is difficult, but I think we all hope that people will
build the release candidates and use those systems to build the
packages they care about (for desktop or server) - if everything
works, it's stable-enough.

 Looking at what was in LFS-6.3, the 2.6.22 series of kernels are
long defunct.  Everything else looks "still usable" on a quick
glance.

 I've got one machine where I sometimes still run BLFS-6.3 : the
desktop packages are old, but apart from upgrading the gimp (for
functionality) and firefox (that's a box where I'm now using the
ubuntu version of firefox2 - see my BLFS-support post from last
week) it works (and is currently using 2.6.28 and later kernels).

 Unfortunately, BLFS still has a way to go before all the versions
are upgraded for 6.4.  OTOH, if you describe FC2 as "working" you
probably aren't keen on using the "latest and greatest" versions ;-)

 I expect everyone will discover things they don't like in their
first LFS/BLFS build, and therefore that system will have a
comparatively short life.  I don't recommend that people use scripts
the first time they build LFS, but it's probably a good idea to
script the BLFS packages.  Once you have the scripts, updating them
for a new build is comparatively simple (a few things move around, a
few get added, sometimes something can drop out).

 Therefore, I suggest you boot the LFS-6.3 system, upgrade the kernel
(2.6.27 will have longer-term support from upstream), and use it to
test out the packages you intend to use on it.  When you decide it
has served its purpose, build a newer system.

ĸen