Chapter 5.6: Linux API Headers won't build

Smartboy smartboyathome at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:54:08 PDT 2009

I have checked, and went over the build exactly how the book says. Yet, when
I try to compile the Linux API headers, I get stuck at make headers_check
with the error message:
"scripts/unifdef.c:209: error: conflicting types for 'getline'
/usr/include/stdio.h:651: error: previous declaration of 'getline' was here"
I did a google search, and it seems that a patch was made for this, but for
more recent kernels. You can find the patch here (
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0903.0/01708.html), but if
you try to apply it, you should get errors.

Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?