section 6.4 env not found

Rick Shelton rick.shelton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 10:29:15 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Dave<dave.mehler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>        I'm working my way through the lfs book so far without any problems
> all has gone right after a few fumbling starts. I am now on section 6.4 when
> i have to chroot in to the build environment. I'm getting the error that env
> is not found. I did not get any compilation errors with bash so was figuring
> it should be there. Googling didn't show me anything on this. Has anyone
> else seen this?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

env is a program installed with the coreutils package.
In section 6.4, one of the arguments to the chroot command is
'/tools/bin/env -i '.
So it looks like env is not located under /tools/bin/.
First, double check your /tools link. Make sure the /tools link points
to the tools/ directory under your mounted $LFS location. The simplest
issue to look at is making sure /tools points to the right place.
If that doesn't work, try reinstalling coreutils as directed in
chapter 5 of the LFS book.
Hopefully, it was just an issue with that one package.
Beyond that, uhm ... well, in the worst case can we write this off as
another fumbling start?

~rick