VFS: Cannot open root device "sdd2" or unknown-block(0,0)

ajith silva ajithsilva at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 17 23:34:13 PDT 2009

Hi Ken and Simon,

As both of you have pointed out the missing driver for SCSI, I started to work on that.

In VMWare 6.xx virtual machines contain LSI Logic Ultra 320 SCSI Controller which uses LSI53C1030 chip. Its driver contained in 2.6.27.4 kernel and it is called "FUSION MPT" and listed in menuconfig utility as follows:

In Device Drivers collection,

[ ] Fusion MPT device support --->

and it contains following items to select:

 [ ] Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for SPI
 [ ] Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for FC
 [ ] Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for SAS
 (128) Maximum number of scatter gather entries (16 128) (NEW)
 [ ] Fusion MPT misc device (ioctl) drivers
 [ ] Fusion MPT logging facility

I selected all and compiled kernel, now my LFS system booting up to the loging propmt without any problem.

Thanks for the support.

I mentioned all these details which will be useful for someone who use VMware to build LFS.

AjSi