Expect don't make

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 18 01:53:56 PDT 2009

2009/6/18 Vitaut Bayaryn <vitaut.bayaryn at gmail.com>:
> When rebuilding Tcl when doing "sudo make install" I got an error:
> "Installing libtcl8.5.so to /tools/lib/
> Installing tclsh as /tools/bin/tclsh8.5
> Installing tclConfig.sh to /tools/lib/
> Installing libtclstub8.5.a to /tools/lib/
> Installing message catalogs
> /bin/sh: line 3:  7484 Segmentation fault      ./tclsh
> /mnt/lfs/sources/tcl8.5.7/unix/../tools/installData.tcl
> /mnt/lfs/sources/tcl8.5.7/unix/../library/msgs "/tools/lib/tcl8.5"/msgs
> make: *** [install-msgs] Error 139"
> --

 Ah, the joys of segmentation faults.  When I was first here, we used to
see a lot of them.  Now, they are uncommon on released versions of the
book (probably because the Pentium4 made cooling such a big issue).
The likely causes include:

RAM chip gone bad (try memtest86 or memtest86+)

insufficient cooling of the processor (e.g. a build up of dust, or a faulty fan,
or air routes blocked)

inadequate power supply (e.g. perhaps you added a "thirsty" video card or
more hard drives)

unstable bios settings or overclocking

I suppose it's also possible to get segfaults if the mains supply itself is
very poor.

If you have no reason to suspect the power supply and the settings, I
suggest taking a look inside the case to make sure it isn't full of fluff (it's
amazing what gets sucked in), and then downloading memtest86 or
similar and letting that run for a few hours.

If you can't find anything wrong, you could also try again to see if it gets
through tcl without problems after a cold start.  Not a fun sort of problem
to diagnose, so Good Luck!

ĸen